A person who appears to be ambling aimlessly, but is secretly in search of adventure.

5.16.2007

Banksy rat?



Is this a Banksy rat on P Street? Or is it just a pretty darn good copy? Compare to an authenticated rat. Regardless, I like seeing it along a route I travel often.

The Post did a piece last week about the rise in graffiti around town recently, focusing on tagging and the city's cost of removing it. I wonder if they'll paint over this rat? I wonder if this is art or just destruction of public property? To my eye, it's a nice little piece of art that makes me smile and it provokes discussion, which I think is a central tenet of contemporary art. If I were a city worker given the task of cleaning up graffiti, would I disobey orders and leave this one because it looked like art?

This blog does a great job of parsing out the debate over what is art as it relates to graffiti.

Thanks eagle-eyes-Jonathan Sousa for spotting the rat and sharing these images with me!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It is a Bansky rat! I had a collector friend in town from Chicago who owns some Bansky oils and he gave it the thumbs up. Now if we just had a jack-hammer and an Ebay account(and we were criminals) we would be $30,000 richer.

2:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet. I was wondering about it when I walked past it a few days ago. Thanks for confirming!

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er... Actually I did that while I was living in DC. Yes the design is Banksy's but, being an anarchist, I decided it was something DC could use a couple of also and so just hijacked the image. There were a couple others up in the area that read "Up the Punx" and "No Sleep till Brookland" (the latter in the Brookland neighborhood obviously) I also have a skunk that holds a similar sign around DC too. I can send you pics of some other cool stencil work I did around DC while I was living there.

1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really kind of a shoddy knock off, there's stencil shifting (the whiskers on the right side are double sprayed) and the 2 layers are a full inch off. Lauren's collector friend should maybe get somebody else to evaluate anything before he goes spending anymore money on items that might be by Banksy and if y'all wanna be $30,000 richer you may just want to get some card stock, an x-acto knife and some spray paint and save the trouble of a jack hammer. although really, the comodification of art as something to be bought and sold makes me kind of nauseas. (although I'd be really into undermining that industry so maybe we should all get together if y'all know where to sell Banksy knock-offs for $30,000).
If y'all wanna get in touch with me, emails sent to goldencalfparty@hotmail.com will be forwarded to me.

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had that one out side my house in se london and it said Dicky Jones on it?

5:46 PM

 
Anonymous dicky jones said...

hey im dicky jones tap my name or any other artists name in to flickr.com & u can c all our street wrks... enjoy also dicky jones on facebook u cant miss me..

4:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home