A person who appears to be ambling aimlessly, but is secretly in search of adventure.

7.20.2009

Fun night at the Capitol Skyline!


I had the supreme honor of judging the WPA's first ever Synchronized Swimming contest at the Capitol Skyline hotel last night. Totally fun! I was darn impressed with the contestants. The other judges: WonKee from the DC aquatics association and Spike Mendelsohn of Top Chef fame assisted by two characters from the Real World DC show. I felt like I was the most qualified judge because I used to swim laps with my best friend from law school who was a competitive synchronized swimmer in college. None of the swimmers took me up on my offer to be bribed so I was forced to score the performances impartially.


This was my favorite performance of the night: a wash-and-wear suited interpretation of a Brian Eno song. Not much actual swimming and the synchronization was iffy, but I liked the music and the intensity level of the performers. The other judges were much less impressed with this work. I think my score of 10 on the Visual Spectacle component drummed up enough crowd support for them to ultimately win the crowd favorite award. (Note: I am willing to take post-competition cupcake bribes.)


Actual synchronized swimmers entered the contest! They were awesome!

More pictures here. All photos by Max Cook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home