A person who appears to be ambling aimlessly, but is secretly in search of adventure.

4.27.2008

Bad art

While relaxing with a frosty bottle of Imperial at the Casa Tucan at Playa Guiones one night last week after a long hard day of getting pounded in the surf, Dale asked me what I thought about the art for sale that was hanging behind the bar. I wrinkled my nose and pronounced it bad art. Paintings of tropical birds and majestic waterfalls. Then he asked, "Why? What is it about this art that makes it bad?" Hmm ... hem ... haw ... sputter ... gosh. My inability to give a coherent answer made me realize the importance of articulating what you like and don't like about a work of art beyond judging whether it's bad or not. For one thing, doing so helps you define and hone your taste. Whether it's bad or not is another question. So I'll practice doing that now.

This particular painting of a toucan and waterfall didn't appeal to me because it appeared to be something produced purely as a souvenir for tourists. I've been known to buy souvenir art so I'm not condemning anyone who does this. But in general I avoid this kind of art purchase because I am more interested in being inspired by the ideas and concepts behind art than its decorative or souvenir value. And I didn't see much more than a vacation keepsake in this painting. Of course, the artist didn't happen to be available just then for me to ask him what he was thinking when he painted it and I think it's very important to ask this question if you have the chance. I've often looked at art that I wasn't especially enamored with and then changed my mind once I understood the artist's intent. Also in this case, the artist's skill level didn't seem very high, maybe a little untrained. Sure the bird looked like a bird, but the painting lacked precision and depth.

About the book, which looks fun:
Located in the basement of a theater, the Museum of Bad Art (MOBA) is a unique institution dedicated to the celebration of artistic effort, however misguided. The Museum of Bad Art: Masterworks presents a pulsating collection of more than seventy never-before-published pieces of artwork from MOBA’s permanent collection. Comprised largely of canvases found discarded on curbside trash piles or obtained for a pittance at thrift stores, this innovative compilation occupies a niche previously ignored in the international community of art collection, preservation, and interpretation. If the subjectivity of art appreciation were ever in doubt, this astonishing assortment of artistic commentaries will fan the flames of controversy. It is clear that many of these artists suffered for their art; now it’s your turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home