A person who appears to be ambling aimlessly, but is secretly in search of adventure.

2.16.2007

Whitewash




The artistic dynamic duo of Brad McCallum and Jacqueline Tarry have created a body of work called Whitewash, which investigates the impact of race in America and its effect on intimate relationships through images that reference the Civil Rights movement. I was blown away by these images when I saw them in the artists' Brooklyn studio a few weeks ago. They are blurred in the way memory can be blurred yet their powerful emotional impact reminds me that the issues that the Civil Rights movement addressed are just as relevant today.
I have also been blown away by this husband-wife collaboration on a personal level. I've had the honor and pleasure of getting to know Brad and Jacquie over the past few months through my involvement in Conjunction Arts, their non-profit dedicated to supporting socially progressive art on the public sphere. They are talented and beautiful and I admire their passion for art and for social change through art.
Whitewash opens at the Lisa Dent Gallery in San Francisco on March 1.
A preview of the show and book signing will take place at Boyd Level in New York on February 20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home