A person who appears to be ambling aimlessly, but is secretly in search of adventure.

4.26.2009

Living with art

Last week I attended a small fund/friendraiser for Art Train at an important DC collector's home. The urban home and garden were large and beautiful, but what blew me away was the art collection. Everywhere I looked, there were jaw-droppingly stunning works by some of the biggest blue chip names in modern and contemporary art. Gerhard Richter, Agnes Martin, Eric Fischl (and see above, me and one of my interns Allison casually sipping fruity vodka drinks in front of one of the collector's several gorgeous Damien Hirsts). In addition to the art, the home was beautifully and perfectly appointed with fine furniture throughout. One thing in particular caught my eye: two white, stuffed chairs in the living room that were adorned on the backs with delicate strings of fine fabric that fluttered gently as each person passed by. It was so artful and sculptural! On closer inspection, though, I realized that this was the work of feline claws! And that made the chairs even lovelier to me knowing that this collector truly lived with his art. Awesome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

i LOVED the chairs. i also loved seeing a philip guston painting hanging above family snapshots!

8:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home