A person who appears to be ambling aimlessly, but is secretly in search of adventure.

2.20.2008

What is fine art?


Washington Times art critic Joanna Shaw-Eagle reviewed Collectors Select a couple weeks ago. The short review contained one major misquote regarding my curatorial effort: the author wrote that I feel "strongly that graffiti art is fine art." That's not correct and sorta misses the point of the installation. I intentionally avoided expressing an opinion about whether I think graffiti art is fine art to Joanna. In fact, whether anyone considers graffiti or any other work of art "fine" is not my primary question or concern when I think about art. When collecting, I simply buy what I like and enjoy living with it. And with regard to curating the Collectors Select show, painting the Tiffany Gallery with graffiti art was my effort to begin a conversation about how we define and value art. The act also communicates my belief that art is not just about objects that hang on the wall but about expressing ideas. Read the statement I wrote about the installation for a bit more on the topic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home